Friday, February 5, 2010

Random Ramblings on Haiti

When the earthquake struck in Haiti, for atleast the first week, every news program reported on this terrible disaster. If you turned on MSNBC they were talking about Haiti, even Fox was talking about Haiti, at that time Haiti was the story of the moment. However, 3 weeks after the earthquake only a handful continue to report or even mention this tragedy, and one of them is the very knowledgable CNN's Anderson Cooper. I enjoy listening to Anderson because for the most part he seems objective, which is an extremely rare quality when you listen to some of these reporters.

However, yesterday when I listened to a report that Anderson did on the Haitian government's disregard of the bodies of those who died in the earthquake I was slightly disappointed. According to Anderson, since the earthquake the Haitian government's strategy, has been to collect the bodies from the street and bury them in mass graves. Granted, as Anderson correctly pointed out this is not the way any of us would want our loved ones to be buried and those who died deserved a proper burial. But, I think when you are not dealing with the circumstances, it is really easy to judge how everything is being done incorrectly. I pose this question: Should the priority be burying people with dignity or insuring that those who are still alive remain living. Should we not be asking why a plethora of supplies from NGOs and other countries are still sitting at the airport. Is the Haitian government ensuring that they bury people with dignity really the most important issue right now?

But what do I know, I just thought I should share my thoughts.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Very true, as unfortunate as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello :D
    I have an award for you on my site...come pop in and collect it when you get the chance :D

    ReplyDelete