Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Back to Zimbabwe it is

So it has been a while since my last post, but after my day at work I felt the need to vent. My husband and I decided it was time for us to move back to Zimbabwe. There are many factors we considered to reach this decision and at the end of the day we felt home was best. So yesterday was the day I handed in my resignation. MMMMMMMMMM I had several people pop by my desk and say oh we are going to miss you, oh we really like you here all the politically correct things to say. One or two did show up and feel the need to express how disgusted they were with my move or decision. One guy says to me you want to move your child back there really. And I wanted to ask what is your view of back "there"? What do you actually know about back there. Apart from going from Manhattan to Queens have you ever left the state of New York, let alone the country.

Today this old man says to me so when do you leave, and said to him with a smile in September. He proceeded to interrogate me as to why I would want to move back to such a country. He then decided to school me on how terrible Zimbabwe was. He asked what if something happened, what if your husband lost his job. And at the back of my mind I just thought we terrible things happen here as well. Every other week you hear on the news some guy decided to shoot someone. In the news you hear of how many people are losing their jobs. So my point is even in America bad things happen, but sometimes one has to ask the question do I want to have family around during those tough times or just go through challenging times alone.

America has been wonderful to me. I have obtained a wealth of knowledge from this great country, and yet I have never felt like I belonged. Yes America does not have power cuts, the economy for the most part is stable. You do not worry about obtaining certain basic products. But, even with all that it still has never felt like home. There is more to life than just being able to stroll into a dealership and buy a car you really can't afford. There is more to life than buying the latest pair of jeans. Like spending time with your family and sharing a laugh. More to life than worrying about how many days of paid time you have left. We spend so many years overseas, work long tiring hours and all for what. We miss out on moments with our families that we will never be able to obtain again. No my intention is not to be disrespectful of those of us who are still living in the diaspora. But my point is to say to each is own, if I have decided to to move back to Zimbabwe don't mock that decision but be happy for me because it is my decision. And for my American counterparts, just because you see something on the tv don't then think you are a world affairs guru. There is more world out there where people are living happy and fulfilling lives, even in Zimbabwe.

6 comments:

  1. Very encouraging to read this. I wish you the best shaz. I wanna go back to Zimbabwe too, TEN years in UK am still home sick...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you African Cutie, come back to Zim the more the merrier. No but it is all about timing I suppose and I think you will know when it is really time for you to go home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Zimbo Mama, wish you the best seriously I know alot of people who moved back and they have never been happier I am sure it will be the same for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mrs X

    I just found your blog today and this was the best thing I've read today. Honest! I'm growing impatient for my time to leave the diaspora as well, as I plan on going back - I never planned to stay, I had a mission to do something here and now that it's almost over, I'm happy.

    Good luck to you and your family, I wish you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Hadassah and KonWomyn Thank you so much will be keep you posted on the move and how we are adjusting to the new life. We are really thrilled. Thank you for the encouraging words, I really appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are planning a move back next year too! See you there!

    ReplyDelete